Milestone Projects

 My First Definition



This is the definition for the adjustable vessel, it allows for variation of several circles in terms of position and height that are lofted together to make a form. It also sets a colour within a specified spectrum to change based on the size of the upper most ring.

These are a few of the objects I made with the definition, and show the real variety that can come from this relatively simple definition.



Animation 




This is the definition for my animation, it uses changing points with lines connecting between to create transforming geometric shapes. The objects created are then filled in and similarly to the previous definition change colour based on how far through the change in shape they are. This definition was a lot more complicated because each corner of each shape had to be individually defined and given a range from it's starting point to it's end point, along with the process of connecting the lines, filling them in, setting colour and such. 


This is the final animation, I ended up really happy with the way I was able to make the shape look like it folds in on itself and created such uniform shapes. Unfortunately, I did have some errors happen when creating the animation that I wasn't able to fix (hence the white boxes and strange texture on some intersecting shapes) but I still think it turned out pretty cool.



Stacked Slice Model 
Here's the definition from my stacked slice model. It is fairly unchanged from the version we created in class but it did the job in terms of making the shapes I needed! The only issue I came across was that when arranging the shapes on a flat surface the definition saw the holes in the slices as separate objects, so I ended up having to arrange the shapes for cutting by hand instead.  





Here are the renderings and gif of the sliced model, I wanted to simulate the white acrylic I was going to be cutting and thought the pink backdrop gave it a nice pop.



Here's the finished model. I decided to use beads between each layer because I was curious about the way that movement could factor into these objects, and as jewelry pieces. As said in my blog, I don't think I would do this in acrylic again, the acrylic was too thick to make a smaller model out of (without losing a lot of detail) and was far too heavy for earrings, plus it sagged in weird ways. I think if I redid this I'd use felt instead and make it as small as I could (although I don't mind a chunky earring by any means) I was happy with how the construction went though and the way that the beads allowed for movement within the piece. Although, I might also adjust future versions to have more connection points to that the pieces don't completely spin freely like parts of these do.



Replicate/Remediate





These are the renderings of my flower vase object. Although we didn't end up getting to choose the glaze I was imagining these objects to be covered in bright colours. I really liked the details that I was able to create and the way that my hand drawn text could be used to create an edge of the object that followed the movement of the lettering so closely.


These are images of the pouring of the slip cast. I didn't end up getting images of the plaster process because I got someone else to take a video and forgot to ask them to send it to me (oops!). Also because the day that I made my plaster cast I had issues with the models I had made and was just a little too caught up in dealing with that to remember to take pictures. But, after having to remake my first mold half and use only the full object for casting each section I did in fact end up with a working mold!


After Pouring out the remaining slip and allowing my cast to dry I pulled the first half off of my mold. It was a bit stuck so I decided to let it dry a bit more before removing the second half.


And this is the first object finished! This is the one that I largely left as is, I removed some flashing but tried to avoid doing any significant changes to the surface. 


This is the second one I did, I ended up using a sponge to soften all the surfaces on it. Unfortunately, my plaster cast had some issues with air bubbles so this was kind off necessary to get a clean object, but I actually really liked the softened lettering and finish, I think it fits really well with the flowiness of the text and the feeling I wanted of the letters and form just kind of meshing together without too much distraction. I'm really excited to see how these vases look when fired and glazed. I think this is a process that I'm going to be using again for future projects, and I'd really like to try doing it on a larger scale and with making more objects!



And that's all of the milestone projects! I really had a great time in this class and I think I came out with some really great skills that I'm excited to be able to integrate within my larger art practice. It was so much fun to further explore the ways that I can use object design and I can't wait to continue with that learning in future projects.

Comments