Surface Design

 So this project was way too much fun for me, I don't have many classes where I get to do 2D work so I was really excited to play with this!! To start with I found a variety of surface design examples as shown below:













After going through those I came up with the above sketch. I pulled the eye motif from the a couple of places but decided on the use of really circular target like pupils from the orange circle pattern. I then repeated this pattern in the background. I also took the line work from the conditioner bottle and the wispy smoke on the graffiti on the patio walls. I used the hands from the pattern on my pants. I knew I needed to fill in more space so I added the overlapping stripes as a place holder but I knew that wasn't going to be the final pattern in that area.






Now looking back through my screenshots I must have just gotten really really into it because I forgot to take pictures of the line process but I primarily used circles and the polyline to outline my sketch, then went in with the angle and cleaned up a few curves I wasn't a big fan of. I used the start/stop of the polyline to produce the sharp edges that I needed. I then went in and offset some of the parts where I wanted consistent lines or perfectly fitting parts. The eye above was one I sketched separately and ended up adding in because I liked it better then the one I drew originally but is one of the only examples of this line work. 

After This I used array on a set of circles to produce the circle pattern and offset to create stripes. I set them on top of my work and then used the trim tool to choose where I wanted different parts to overlap others.




I then made a copy to make sure that I liked the hatching.


Once finished I loved the design and colour but I just wanted to add a bit more to it so I went back to my sketch and gave the face a little friend. I didn't focus much on the pattern outside of it as I figured I'd play with that in rhino. 


I once again traced my lines and then trimmed the curves. This time I had a lot less curves to fix as I had a better handle on the polyline tool. 


Once I finished the line work I decided to copy the upper face, flip it and add it below as well to add balance to the piece. I also added in the patterns again and lined them up with the existing patterns using my osnap tool. 



I then added in the hatching but again wasn't quite satisfied with the final product so I took the design flipped it and lined it up with my existing work. I went through and fixed any overlapping parts. 


Finally, after a couple other small additions and changes I was so happy with the final product! It took some extra time to get through but was so worth it for how proud of the final product I am. 




Comments