Reverse engineered object week 1




Getting started on this project was a bit intimidating and frustrating as someone who doesn't typically have to work a lot with precise measurements, but by the end of my worktime this week I was really starting to get into it! I didn't make it as far as I would have liked but I think I made a solid dent in it!

First I took a look at the outside of the ladybug and tried to get a basic shell put together. I quickly discovered that it's outside was not a simple collection of curves but some weird lump that had a very flat face and oddly proportioned body.



I played quite a bit with the angle. circle and polyline tools until I managed to get an outline of the base and curvy exterior that looked fairly accurate. But when using the Networksrf tool I started to run into trouble and no matter what I did it wouldn't fully cover the shape. After playing with that for a while I realized that I didn't know how to fix it and decided to shift gears. 



Because the bottom was mapped out I decided to focus on the bottom cover of the toy. It had a lot of protruding parts, holes and a lot else but I started with the top view. I made as many measurements as I could and noted them on a diagram so that once I was modelling I could focus on that process.  



I quickly figured out that my bottom shape wasn't quite right when the screw holes wouldn't fit but I decided to keep going for now and focus my measurments on the distances between different parts so that if I have to alter the shape of the base they'll stay accurate. 

I then started to extrude, remove and shape the parts of the interior. This was definitely the part of it that I felt went the most successfully. There were a few times when I had to readjust measurements but overall I was happy with the outcome! 

Overall, I feel good about where I ended up this week and I'm excited to come into class and troubleshoot the parts I got stuck on!

Comments